Wednesday 10 June 2020

Inside Sample Mountain - Early June Edition

The Kishi - Antoine Bandele

The first thing that struck me about this sample was how smooth and readable it felt. Bandele has a style that is inviting and flows well and, thanks to the use of thoughts in italics and the slow build opening, feels very 80s/90s classic fantasy. That's a good thing to me. I don't think it's going to work so well for people looking for an immediate hook or action, but there's definitely a sense of tension building. I do want to know more and I'm almost certainly buying the book for reals.

The Throne of the Five Winds - SC Emmett

This is here on the recommendation of cupiscent from Fantasy Faction, a person who I trust immensely on the selection of books. I have to say, I'm not sure I'd be keeping this on the list without her word as the introduction, while well written and posing an obvious source of tension with its post-disaster scenario, just misses some tiny little thing for me. Maybe it's too mannered and formal? Perhaps the stakes for the MC are too focused on family and not themselves? Perhaps it's just a mood thing. It is good, and it does come recommended, but maybe not for me. Or maybe it is. We'll see.

Conquest - Celeste Hart

This one threw me as the blurb and cover led me to expect something medieval-esque and the setting and writing are far more contemporary feeling, with a definite YA vibe to the protagonist. Once I adjusted my expectations I quite enjoyed the first person narration and prose, and the character was interesting. However I was then thrown again by the broadcast from the Great Faresh, which felt like a clunky turn to exposition. I don't think that'd be a deal breaker if I was more invested in the concept and vibe, but this sort of personally focused YA is take it or leave it for me. Worth a look for those who are into that though.

The Last Sun - K.D. Edwards

This one's been heavily touted on my twitter feed and as someone who wants more things based on real world occultism, the whole Tarot thing gave me a push towards it. It's a book that packs a lot of setting into its opening scene, at once modern and openly very magical. And there's a heist. Once you give it time to settle though, it reads rather nicely. Plus the Tarot thing. I think I'll give it a go some day, although maybe not soon. One final note - it has given me a new pet peeve; prose that drops a ton of f-bombs but doesn't have any other swearing in. Not everything has to be The Thick of It, but what's wrong with calling someone an oxygen stealing bastard, or a dozy twat, or a useless bellend, shitehead revisited... okay, maybe everything should be The Thick of It when it comes to swearing. But I'll excuse The Last Sun for not being this.

Nasomi's Quest - Enock Simbaya

In these days of "Go! Go! Go!", I have to note that Nasomi's Quest might have the single most prosaic first line I've read - Nasomi opened the basket to admire her work. And I slightly worry some people will read the first page paragraph or two and never look again, because that would be a shame. There's not only a very real sense of place and realism - Nasomi's father complaining could be so many people's fathers, but it feels like that exact version would only grow where he does - but there's a lot of charm. There's a warmth and wry humour to the characters interactions, particularly between Nasomi and her prospective beau, that's just really well done. Brought.

Water Margin: Outlaws of the Marsh - Shi Naian (translated by JH Jackson and Edwin Lowe)

I actually have very little to say about the book itself, as the foreword and introduction take up most of the sample, and the book's reputation is sufficient that there are many, many better places to look for information on it than my little sample review. Nevertheless, I did sample it, and it struck me as typical of the translated Chinese fiction I've read. What I can say is that the foreword and introduction are very informative, and do a a great deal to give me a context for the book itself and how it's translation came to be. I don't know if this should be the definitive translation, but Lowe does a good job of persuading me it should be.

The Stormcaller - Tom Lloyd

People talk about when prologues should be used. I wouldn't be surprised if there'd been a discussion over whether the two first pages should have been for this book, as they're sufficiently different to stand alone. Which didn't endear me to the book. It also has some of the closest set, smallest type on Kindle, which is not to its favour. Yes, I know I could probably change it. Despite the two biggest things I spotted not being about the book, I did rather enjoy the prose. It has whatever secret ingredient it is that appeals to me, despite not having any other obvious reason to be read over other Epic fantasies (other than ScarletBea has recommended it). It'll stick on the list, probably waiting for a kindle sale.

Priestess of Ishana - Judith Starkston

Another book where I'm wondering whether there was any thought about whether the first chapter should be a prologue or not. Judging from the blurb and the second chapter - which I nearly didn't reach - maybe it should have. In any case this is well written and people will tell me I'm wrong (or so I hope) but I'm afraid to say I didn't feel the love.  The first characters I saw didn't give me a strong sense of internal life and the scene didn't grab me. Part of me wonders why someone with such a strong selling point - Hittite fantasy by someone who's done the research - didn't start embedded straight into Hittite culture. A deliberate choice to make it more standard fantasy? Just what felt right? Who knows. In any case, I am still recommending this for anyone who goes "Yes" at the sound of Hittite fantasy, but it's probably not something I'll read.

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld - Patricia McKillip

I'm a big believer in trying to know the genre's past, and I mean really know it, not just read some Jordan, Tolkien and Le Guin. In part of doing so I have come to the conclusion that McKillip is a forgotten beast in her own right - an author with countless awards and accolades who's barely ever talked about. The biggest author you've never heard of. I'm trying to work out which of her books I want to read to try and put right the fact I've never read. The Forgotten Beasts of Eld might be that book because not only is it's concept instantly intriguing, it reads like a forgotten mythology from somewhere you've never heard of. I'm a sucker for that. Very much recommended on a few pages for anyone else who likes that formal mythological style.


4 comments:

  1. With great power comes great trepidation that you're going to lose all respect for my opinion... :D I think I've probably caveat'd that recommendation sufficiently already, though.

    Hard agree on the lost legacy of Patricia McKillip. I think she's possibly one of those authors who never got UK publication? Certainly I'd never even heard of her before an aghast US friend started sending me books. :D I've read "Alphabet of Thorn" and "Ombria in Shadow" and both had a lovely lush-but-sparse, dreamy sort of fablesome quality to them, and were just lovely to read. I should dig up some more of her work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made enough caveats, aye. Besides, I'm well aware that making book recommendations to me often ends up being like asking King Herod to do the babysitting!

      As for McKillip... I don't know. I know I've seen her books in the library, but I don't know how recently she was published here. I don't recall seeing her in bookshops when I was young, but that doesn't mean much. It might explain it, but it seems weird they wouldn't publish a World Fantasy winner globally? But then, the publishers had no idea what to do with Bridge of Birds, so who knows?

      Delete
  2. Oh the pressure!
    I get what you feel, Dee (and what you felt about Wounded Kingdom, Peat), hehe
    It seems to be at £3.99 at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a poll on my blog last month asking what fantasy book I should read and The Forgotten Beasts of Eld won (still need to get a copy,t hough). I have read a couple of her books - but only because another blogger put them on my radar. I think I would have missed her otherwise. I have to be in a particular mood for formal mythological style, but I have a hunch this might turn out to be my favourite of her works that I've read so far.

    ReplyDelete