Thursday 21 May 2020

Project Transformation Five - Heating Up

This will be a shorter post than usual because gloating about how well things are going is far less interesting to me than analysing what's going wrong. Right now, I'm motoring along at the expected pace, I'm beginning to find the writing voice I want for this, and ideas are beginning to fall in line with each other. This is beginning to feel more like a project that will happen than a project I am grimly willing into existence.

I can see problems on the horizon though in that I've got some decisions to make. I'm out of map now, insomuch as I ever had a map. I jokingly complained to Anna Stephens that I was about to embark on a scene that I didn't think would be making the book. Why? It was the logical move on from where I was with the book, but I wasn't sure what it added. It's adding more than I'd thought, but it might still go. I suppose I could make all my decisions that way - just pick something quickly and see if it makes sense at the end - but that seems so unlike me. I don't know if that'll work. Yet if it doesn't work, I'll ever have to get clever very quickly or lose a lot of momentum. Yay for growth opportunities?

The thing is, most of the choices I've got to make are so nebulous I can't really talk about them here even if I did fancy risking spoilers. I'm still thinking about characters but in such a vague way I don't know what to say. I think one is a spy. Maybe. For who? What's Sooley's flaw? Is he even going to be called Sooley?

I have at least made some progress on the worldbuilding, although I wish I had a good map making bit of software. I'm honestly considering buying Civilisation 2 just to custom make maps and figure things out in. I don't need it at all mind, not in the slightest, just there's things I want to know that are irking me.

That's about all I have to say. It's going well. Making decisions at random with the intention of ironing them out later is working. I'm picking up pace, albeit at the cost of the blog. And honestly, right now, the fact I'd rather be writing the book than this post means I'll be stopping here.

No comments:

Post a Comment