Monday 6 January 2020

State of the Delirium 2020

I skipped last year’s mission statement because it feels strange to give one to three people and a cat. And I nearly skipped this one before realising I wanted to say something to myself.

Last year was a bit mental. It was a bit mental for everyone, especially here in the UK, because we’ve been cursed to live in interesting times, but it felt a bit mental for me as a person as well. Finished - or at least thought I’d finished - my first manuscript and submitted it. Got promoted at work. Had some bruising depressive spells. Failed to get my life in order on some very important points.

And next year was even more mental. I applied for my provisional driving license last night. I aim to move continent. And I hope to keep my life moving forwards because one of the surest things to leave my mental health flapping around in the wind is a sense of wasted time. I have wasted so much time in my life and let so many dreams slip away, and I can only accept and forgive that in myself but I want to do less of it moving on. 

What does this mean for this blog moving forwards, if anything? Hopefully more interviews. Interviews are the piece of blogging I enjoy most and do best. More articles talking about the genre as a whole and multiple books at once, because again I enjoy that sense of feature writing. Probably less long reviews. Probably fewer posts here in general to be honest. Blog writing is something I turned to more and more last year because it was easy writing and getting fiction done just wasn’t happening. More writing fiction means less time to write here. I might also seek other outlets to write at. Maybe try my hand at the music review game again. 

We’ll see whether that happens. Perhaps this is too undisciplined, but I have no hard targets set on these things other than to do a final final shine on my as yet untitled manuscript and finished another to a state to can be shown to other people. That leaves a lot of wriggle room for how things go. And given how I’ve always needed to draw on the enthusiasm of others, it is hard to say where that enthusiasm will be found. Maybe it won't.

The rollercoaster will continue. The juggling act will see the addition of more balls - more chainsaws. And hopefully it’ll work out alright I I just keep going.

2 comments:

  1. I'll just say lots of good luck! I do hope you manage to hit your targets, or at least that there's no sense of wasted time x

    ReplyDelete