Saturday 11 January 2020

Top 10 Books of 2019

I was feeling kinda down about my reading this year until I started to do this - I read a lot of good books, and will be leaving a lot of good books off. And because I read some really good books, I've decided to dispense with 1 to 10 and go with some ties, because three books were the best books I've read this year and I don't want to choose. But I've also decided to count down from 10 this year, so you'll just have to scroll down to see those 3... or, you know, read the other items. Or read the tweet that totally gives it away.

HMs: Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare, The Killing Moon by NK Jemisin, The Tiger and the Wolf by Adrian Tchaikovsky, The Bone Ships by RJ Barker, The Deep by John Crowley - All good books, but just one step off to my taste compared to the rest listed here

8. A Hero Born by Jin Yong - People call this China's LotR but it seemed to me to have more of a Conan vibe, full of boisterous energy and larger than life heroics. That's the sort of fanbase I'd recommend it to anyway - fantasy readers craving adventures into the strange. The plot is labyrinthine and I can't remember the full details now, but that just added to the fun of reading it. I should check to see whether the same translator has done any of the sequels yet.

8. Distaff by Various - This anthology would get into the top 10 for Rosie Oliver's The Ice Man alone but the whole volume is good value. There's no bad stories and despite the frequent tone shifts that are part and parcel of the anthology, nothing feels out of place. If anything, the variety makes it a more enjoyable reading experience, as I never get bored of the same thing again and again. 

Plus it still contains a story that made me miss my train stop, and it's not even the best story in there.

8. House of Broken Wings by Aliette de Bodard - Reading back my review for this almost made me switch it to HMs and put something else here, but I'm sticking with my initial instincts. Something about this story and De Bodard's writing leaves a crack in my memory in which deep emotions grow; something about the world grips my imagination. She puts the characters through just the right amount of pain and joy. But maybe this book is here because of the sequel which convinced me that Madeleine is a rock star. In any case, the why is less important than the result.

6. The Book of Skulls by Robert Silverberg - A slight step up in tier here compared to the others as Silverberg's effortless mastery of voice, moreish writing style, and portrayal of dark comedy and thought provoking horror made this an outstanding read. I wish it had contained more of a fantasy edge but for what it is, its note perfect. And I've already lent it to one person.

6. Turning Darkness Into Light by Marie Brennan - I've reviewed this very recently so feel like I have little to say, but have to note this tier consists mainly of stories with outstanding style, stone cold perfect execution of a concept even if I wished the concept had been a little bigger, and which I have already forced onto other people because they're awesome.

4. The Story of the Stone by Barry Hughart - I fucking love Barry Hughart's books. Everything feels like it's turned up to 11 and over the top; the characters, the convoluted plots, the humour, everything. At times it overwhelmed me but I always got sucked in by the next piece of nonsense or drama. Or both. The two go hand in hand. There's a satirical edge to this book that's easier to discern that it was in Bridge of Birds. That Hughart only wrote three books is borderline crime by the powers that be.

4. The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker - A lovely, entrancing book, full of a sense of place and with some of the best mini character portraits around. It doesn't quite reach my joint top spot due to not completely selling me on the main plot and characters, but I don't really care as everything else was fantastic and as such, I'll still read her next book anyway. Even if its just a travel guide to Birmingham.

1. King of Assassins by RJ Barker - Onto my borderline perfect books. I criticised Age of Assassins for maybe being a bit cliche and light. King of Assassins takes all the exuberant fun of that book, packages it in a story that's heavy as a wrecking ball with dark secrets and redemption, and gives us a fantastic MC in grumpy old Girton and surrounds him with an outstanding case, headlined by Merela and Aydor, who'd get best supporting character if there was fantasy authors. I wonder if its entirely a coincidence that his name sounds like Arthur and he's described as bearlike given some of the Arthurian inspirations behind the series. Oh and the cliche world? It grows and mutates and takes on its own dark character. There must be a way to convince RJ Barker to write more in the Wounded Kingdoms. I kinda want to re-read it now.

1. House of Binding Thorns by Aliette de Bodard - Another book where earlier books by the author left me a tad unfulfilled and I then got everything I wanted and more. The alchemist Madeleine bears a fantastic weight of responsibility with brittle humanity, bleak humour, and brilliant heroism. Her relationship with the magnificent bastard that is Asmodeus is probably the best thing in this book, but it's a big call. The plot is gripping and perfectly timed after a slow start; the worldbuilding thicker and more compelling without getting obtrusive. House of Sundering Flames is now looming big on my TBR pile.

1. A Brightness Long Ago by Guy Gavriel Kay - I had unshed tears in my eyes in the ending. And it's not like anything that bad happens (well, it does a little before, but not right at the ending). It's simply the window into another human's wistfulness and regret and contentment provided. The ability to observe and communicate basic human drives in such a way is a big part of what gives GGK a strong claim to be the greatest fantasy author alive. There's also the meticulous research, the poetry of the prose, and the leisurely grand sweep of his plots - all of which are on full display here. I don't want to re-read A Brightness Long Ago right now - I'm not ready for it - but scenes from it live forever in my head.

1 comment:

  1. "the window into another human's wistfulness and regret and contentment provided" -- YES, that is the essence of GGK right there

    ReplyDelete